<VV> Hardened, (or Nitrided) Crankshafts

MoVair at aol.com MoVair at aol.com
Mon Feb 12 15:44:36 EST 2007

Hello folks,
  Recently, I was having a phone conversation with "Big John" Kirkman  about
an engine I plan to build. It started as a 65, 110 engine with PG.  The engine
block has been assembled, using the stock 8409 crank. The cam has  been
upgraded to Clark's OT-20. Plans are to run .040 pistons.
  Now for my predicament. I have a set of 65, 140 heads in the machine  shop
that will probably be ready this week. Although I still have a few  more ducks
to get in a row, I thought this would be another upgrade I could do.  Problem
is, the crankshaft is not hardened. Remember, the engine is a 110.
  Since the crank uses the same part number, regardless if it is  hardened or
not, is there a visual inspection I can do to determine a Nitrided  from a
non-Nitrided crank? If not, is it possible to get a crankshaft  hardened?
  At this time, the only other late heads I have are for a 95 HP  and I don't
want to use them. I'd get a set of 110 heads first.
  In case you're wondering, no, I don't have car to put it in  yet. That is a
bit further down the road. Right now, I just want to do the  engine.
  Any info that anyone can provide will be of great help.  THANKS!!!

    Kelly Parker
    Oxford, GA. 30054
    _MoVair at aol.com_ (mailto:MoVair at aol.com)
    62 700 4-dr