<VV> 66 AC Corsa convertibles & coupes or RR engine blocks

stan east sgeast at interlog.com
Mon Feb 12 23:43:09 EST 2007

For those who are interested in the 153 1966 Corsas (coupes and
convertibles) that were built with Air Conditioning I am collecting a small
data base of those that we know have survived, my black coupe being one of
them. All 153 would have started life with RR engine blocks and the letter
"E" after a 2 on the lower lines of the Fisher Body tag. Further information
is available about decoding the body tags at Kent Sullivan's website:

http://www.corvairkid.com/65-67rpocode.htm

While there are other 140 hp engines with AC in Monzas and maybe even a 500,
the Corsa engine combination with AC was extremely rare as evidenced by the
number of RR engine blocks built. And thanks to Dave Newell for finding out
this information.

If you have a 66 Corsa (with or without its RR engine block) and the E in
the body tag after the number 2 please contact me offline with name and VIN
information. Thanks.

Stan East

Stock Corvair Group Vice President

sgeast at interlog(dot)com

---original messages-------

---<kcvair at netscape.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: <VV> 66 AC Corsa convertibles

>I understood there was a letter E on the plate behind the engine that also
indicated the car came with factory A/C.  I would be interested because mine
is an A/C Corsa Convertible, but does not have the RR engine.  It appears to
be >factory installed, but I have no other way to tell.  Ken Clark

--- thebigwave at comcast.net wrote:

>Yes, 153 AC Corsas (coupes and convertibles) were built with an estimated
1/3 being Convertibles.

>That puts it around 50 Convert which is what I stated. May have been even
less since its

>more likely to have AC in a coupe than convertible. But who knows for sure,

>these are just best estimates using the ratio of Corsa coupes to
convertibles and the known value of 153 AC total