<VV> Aluminum Base - Removing anodizing?

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Feb 14 16:24:04 EST 2007

At 09:59 PM 2/13/2007, rt66vairs at aol.com wrote:
>Mike,
>
>It sounds like you didn't get the anodizing off of the aluminum completely.
>
>I've had mirror like results with both aluminum and stainless trim parts.
>Gettum shiny and clearcoat the hell out of 'em.
>
>They last a long time

Yep, cheaper than anodizing even if you do the anodizing
yourself.    I've stripped, buffed, and clearcoated aluminum and it's
fine.   I've also "brite-dipped" anodized (but slightly dulled)
aluminum trim and then clearcoated it afterwards and that worked out
nicely as well.

"Brite-dip" is a nitric acid bath that removes oxidation from
anodized aluminum trim without damaging the coating or the aluminum
underneath.   Interestingly enough, nitric acid is some nasty stuff
that attacks steel, iron, *And Skin* with a vengeance... do NOT get
this stuff on you or you WILL regret it.   It will digest your hide
and make it slough off in crumbly yellowish-green flakes like a bad
horror movie.    However, it doesn't bother aluminum at all, instead
it cleans it up and makes it shine.    :)

After the brite-dipping, the work is thoroughly cleaned with fresh
water and then clearcoated, comes out nice, GREAT for headlight rims
that don't shine quite right anymore.

All you need to do is find a place that will sell you nitric
acid...  which likely won't be that easy what with its being rather
dangerous stuff and nothing to fool around with.   Always be careful
when working with mean and angry acids, and nitric acid is
*mean*.     And don't put anything but aluminum in it.    Bad things
could happen otherwise.

tony..