<VV> Aluminum Base - Removing anodizing?

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 14 01:14:35 EST 2007

The trim could be "Alclad".  That's a base alloy with a layer of 1000 series
aluminum on the surface.  It was done so you could get decent mechanical
properties for the part but have a shiny surface and for corrosion
protection.  For example, a lot of aircraft skin is 2024 alclad.  2024 is
strong, but doesn't polish well at all (and doesn't like salt much).  The
1000 series stuff on the surface is pretty, but about as strong as warm
butter.

It doesn't take much to cut through the alclad, so if you're polishing
agressively to get rid of scratches you can be down to base metal in a
flash - no more shiny.

Maybe that's why the repro trim is softer than stock - low alloy aluminum to
look nice.

Just guessing,
  Roger