<VV> 4Speed Powerglide?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Feb 15 11:30:30 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/14/2007 8:50:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
kwoodke at comcast.net writes:

Tempest  wagon (transaxle equipped of course). Yes the bastard cousin to the
Vair as my  Uncle referred to his. As they moved the camera around and looked
into the  back, the narrator mentioned the PG had been engineered with a
second  planetary gear set making for 4 forward speeds! Well that caught my ear.
Now I  have no idea how this works. Maybe someone out there knows this set up?
BTW this "guy " was know for his hot 421SuperDuty Pontiacs. That is what  was
in the  Tempest so this was one stout transaxle.
Alright figure  out how this works and report back I can't wait to have a 4
speed auto  Vair.

P.S. I tracked down some more info. Actually the same car being  sold again.
The link should take you to Mecum Auctions. It mentions parts of  two PGs
being used.

No bubble bursting here, Keith, but I have seen the transaxles used in the
drag racing Tempests. At least one ended up in a Corvair - but not attached to
a  Corvair motor. Jay Eitel's Jaguar powered 65 has one of the transaxles in
it,  and Jay has a spare as well. At least one of them came from Mickey
Thompson's  shop in LA.  I saw the unit in the Vair, and looked over the spare in
his garage. There might have been some Corvair PG parts inside, but I will bet
most were from HD Powerglides normally mounted behind the front engined
vehicles. It was quite beefy. Jay was a master craftsman to put the unit into  the
Vair and make it work in that application. - Seth  Emerson