<VV> Stolen cars, was: Registering

mopar at jbcs2.net mopar at jbcs2.net
Thu Feb 15 15:09:45 EST 2007

The third Corvair I ever owned came right out of a junkyard. the owner had
scrapped it because a dealer had told him the motor was shot. I paid $50
for the car wanting to put the motor out of a junker into it. The car had
about 30,000 miles and was a 67 4-door. Turned out the only thing wrong
with it was a bad oil sending switch. I picked up many cars I had to deal
with "salvage" as they were junked for no good reason other than the owner
didn't know better or didn't want to put any cash into it.
Once A friend picked up a 68 Charger body out of a junkyard. Only
registered once.........In Hawaii! Made it to the states though and
accumulated miles for years a quarter mile at a time. We had to jump
through plenty of hoops to get paperwork for that one.............something
that could have been a lot easier if every state was on the same page.
My son works at a car dealership. Every day trade ins go straight to the
junkyards as the dealership wants them destroyed as they cannot make enough
on them to make their efforts worthwhile. My son has picked up quite a few
for a few hundred dollars and fixed and re-sold them.

Not everything junked........is junk!

Gary Swiatowy
Beleives in recycling.

From: Frank DuVal <corvairduval at cox.net>
Subject: Re: <VV> Stolen cars, was: Registering

I'm with you, Harry. Salvage does not mean a destroyed car put back on
the road as a waiting to happen death trap. It does mean something has
happened to it along the way and the next owner should be aware of its
past. This is why people are always reminded to  get a prospective used
car checked out by a third party. Just in case there was an unsafe
repair. Not all major repairs are tracked by VIN and show up in Carfax,
etc.

Frank DuVal