<VV> Re: Salvage title

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Feb 15 15:32:04 EST 2007

>Salvage does not mean a destroyed car put back on
>the road as a waiting to happen death trap.

Salvage does mean that the car was "totaled". In Florida there are two
different forms of salvage title, one of which is a "Rebuildable Salvage
Title" that can be driven but is supposed to have a label on the vehicle.

See http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/salvaged-vehicles.php

Then there are the cars which may have been "totaled" but the owner has
arranged to keep the car and rebuild it. The key here is not to surrender
the title to anyone. When our 90 Grand Am was rearended, the cost of the
bumper cover and a taillight vs the retail value was enough for the
insurance company to declare it totaled.

Padgett