<VV> Piston removal

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Feb 17 16:11:07 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/17/2007 1:02:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
bryan at skiblack.com writes:

So, I  have a bunch of rods and pistons, and I'd like to remove the old
pistons.  I see there's a special guide tool in the shop manual to  use
with a press, but I have no idea where to get one.  Any  suggestions?
I'm further guessing that heating the assembly would be  a good idea for
either removing or  installing.

--Bryan

If you are just removing the pins to use the rods and toss the pistons, You
don't need to heat them. I have done this. Heating the rods and cooling the
pins might be appropriate for installation.  I does depend on how tight the
original press fit was. But remember the rod and the pin are both steel, and
will expand at the same rate when heated. It might be a looser fit on the
piston, (aluminum will expand more) but it should be a loose fit on there right
now. Just put a good support under the piston and press the pin out. I use a
tall HD socket of the correct size diameter (slightly smaller than the pin) Some
 may be tight on the rod. That is the bang you will hear when they "give up".
 Also, if one refuses to move and the pressure builds up, move to the side
and  stay out of the line of fire. - Seth