<VV> Piston removal

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Feb 17 17:18:58 EST 2007

The few pistons I installed myself were done at room temperature. The
machine shops use a rod heater to heat the rod before installing the
pin/piston assembly.

I found a washer with an i.d.  larger than  the piston pin o.d. and cut
a slot in it so it could be removed after installation. The thickness of
the washer was also chosen as the gap I wanted between the rod and the
piston. This way I could place the washer between the piston and rod,
press the pin home against a flat surface and the rod/piston alignment
would be OK without pressing very slowly and measuring the gaps.
Confused?  Measure all the gaps on a removed piston/pin/rod assembly
before dissassembly to see what I mean. I also used rear axle lube for
the assembly lube.

I use sockets as press adapters all the time. Many brands give lots of
incremental sizes on o.d.

Frank DuVal