Rebuilding Retard? Re: <VV> Communique back issue 7/84

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Feb 20 17:58:53 EST 2007

Mike,
    By the time you pay for the cost of rebuilding your  stock retard unit,
why not just replace it with a Dale vacuum advance/pressure  retard unit?  One
reason the turbo Corvairs are sluggish in normal street  driving and give such
poor gas mileage is the lack of vacuum advance.  They  are the ONLY Corvairs
that lack vacuum advance!  If you install vacuum  advance on your distributor,
and make provision for pressure retard as  well, you'll get a Corvair that
performs more like UN-turboed Corvair before the  boost comes up and still can
function well when it's boosted.  See further  details on how to do this in the
Turbocharging chapter in the Corvair Basics  Manual.  When I did this on my
180 that was being driven daily to work, not  only did the part throttle
acceleration and throttle response both improve, but  also the gas mileage went up
by over 20%.  Talk about having your cake and  eating it too!
    Frank "try it you'll like it" Burkhard

In a message dated 2/20/2007 1:15:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,