<VV> email scammers

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Wed Feb 21 11:59:13 EST 2007

As someone who does a lot of European business, let me make a couple
(okay, several)  points.

- The US$ is very very weak right now and any US car is a good buy.
- Corvairs are still particularly cheap here, even more so there.
- Corvairs are all pre 1973, so they get free registration/road tax in
the UK
- Corvairs have exceptionally low "petrol consumption" as compared to
other US classics
- Corvairs are a more reasonable size on UK roads than other US classics
- Several UK magazines (particularly "Practical Classics" and  "Classic
& Sports Car") have recently either featured or have discussed the
Corvair in very positive  terms. (In fact, we almost had a senior C&SC
writer over for our Yenko and CORSA events last summer, but he was
unable to get an audience with Mr. Nader which his editor had as a
requirement to pay for the trip. Another C&SC staff is also considering
a late model as a project car...)
-Corvairs are unique in the UK and do not carry the same sort of infamy
as they do here... and are not thought of as economy cars.

So having UK (or European) interest in our cars should not come as a
surprise to anybody.

However, unlike the US, electronic funds transfer in the UK (and most of
the rest of Europe) is extremely inexpensive and very common. Europeans
don't understand why it's so (relatively) difficult and expensive for us
to do EFT here... and virtually always want to be paid via EFT...
because unlike here, cashing a check in US$ or even cashing in US bills
larger than $20's is expensive and difficult for many areas.

So from that point of view, the original question absolutely sounds like
a scam. But don't discard European offers out of hand because there is a
growing interest in our cars there.

(I have excellent contacts for shipping back and forth and will be glad
to assist anyone who needs it...)

Bill Elliott