<VV> Fuel Questions

James Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Feb 21 21:30:40 EST 2007

All the fuel lines are compression type fittings.  They seal by
forcing the flared end of the steel line against a like seat in the
fitting.  The threads do not seal but only hold the sealing parts
together.  If the leak cannot be stopped by tightening the fitting
nut with flare wrench, then you probably have a cracked flare.  Line
replacement is the only way to stop the leak when the line is
cracked.  Clark's used to sell flare repair bushings - little, convex
copper washers that were made to go in between the flared line and
the fitting seat.  If the seat was messed up they usually worked but
I haven't seen one in years.
   If the threads in the steel pipe extension from the fuel pump to
the fuel line tee are leaking, there is a Teflon pipe dope that will
safely seal the threads.  It is made by Pernatex/Locktite and most
FLAPS carry it.
Personal opinion: I would never put another fuel filter in the engine
compartment.  If you think you think you need another fuel filter,
the fuel line break in the left fender arch is the perfect place.
Jim Davis