<VV> Fuel Questions

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Feb 21 22:27:29 EST 2007

1.  OK, who is spreading the rumor that teflon tape is a no no? Yes, if
used improperly, little bits can come off and go downstream, so use it
properly! I have used it exclusively on the 1/8" NPT fittings on Corvair
fuel pumps for 31 Years!

The proper method of installing? Leave the first thread bare when
wrapping two turns of tape around the male threads. This way the loose
end does not get into the fuel flow, and more than two wraps is quite
excessive.

For a great gasoline rated pipe dope, use Gasoila, like found here:

http://www.gsasupplyco.com/liquidsealants.html

But it is way more expensive than the 99 cent teflon tape roll.

Again, even with pipe dope, leave the starter threads bare.

And yes, flare fitting need NO sealant.

2. The extra fuel filter goes in place of the rubber hose on the other
side of the firewall than the engine.  GF61 used to be a part number,
but any metal filter with 5/16" hose barbs will work. Do not put any
rubber hose in the engine compartment. It looks crappy and could feed a
fire.

3. Yes, check the screws for tightness on the fuel pump. But don't strip
them! If you do, just buy longer screws, nuts and lock washers.

Frank DuVal