<VV> making a torque wrench

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 22 00:28:09 EST 2007

Hi Tom,

Sears does have a beam style in/lb torque wrench, made by KD Tools #
KDS2955, see the link below.  They also have some dial type for considerably
more.  Mine is one made by Cal-Van # 726.  I picked it up at a used tools
store years ago.  With the differential, no need to make a special tool to
attach to the pinion shaft for preload measurement.   Just try different
size 12 point metric sockets until you find one that just slips over the end
of the pinion shaft.  I don't remember which size works but all you have to
do is slip a shop rag over the end of the pinion shaft and push the socket
over it, then attach your torque wrench.  Voila!  Instant tool.  You're not
putting major torque on it so it should hold just fine to set your in/lb
preload.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&p
id=00999788000&cat=Mechanics+Tools&subcat=Torque+Wrenches

Hope that helps,

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!

Tom said:
>I have a trans mainshaft to modify into a tool,to set the bearing
pre-load,if I can calibrate it in the 0-25 in/lb range .I >haven't found a
beam-type torque wrench but have a 'clicker' 25-250 in/lb,and an rcbs
trigger-pull 0-72 oz gauge here...any >help off-line would be welcome,as my
math is rustier than the Monzas' floor.