<VV> Fuel Questions

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 22 00:33:35 EST 2007

 >  All the fuel lines are compression type fittings.

This I am sure was not meant to say that they are 'Compression
Fittings', ie, the little brass ferrule ball that slides over a line and
is squeezed down (not good for fuel line use), but that the 'Inverted
Flare' fitting (that the fuel lines do use) seals by metallic
compression. Different than the inverted flare adapter the actually
screws into the fuel pump and seals with via pipe thread .

Pipe Sealant with Teflon (PST) seems to have gotten harder to find by
that name -- probably some federal  environmental laws forced a
reformulation, but the stuff works good on pipe threads.  Also works as
a good anti-sieze compound, especially on stainless steel fasteners, and
you can use it on the flare nut threads as a hedge against future
disassembly and a lubricant to help get them *Tight*.

     Loctite Pipe Sealant with teflon* -- part #59214 (formerly 92-14)
-- 6cc

     Loctite PST -- HP #565, part no 56521 -- 50ml

When I recently was trying to buy a new tube for a different project
while away from home, I couldn't find any of the Loctite branded stuff
at several various locations, and got some of this -- seemed like
similar stuff and it worked:

     Permatex  High Temperature Thread Sealant -- PX #59235 -- 50 ml
(nice screw top tube)

This is not the same as the white sealant stuff in a tube / tub you can
buy at most plumbing supply outlets that is a modern whitened version of
plumber's pipe dope.

Bill Strickland