Alternatives Re: <VV> Rebulding Retard?

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 22 00:25:13 EST 2007

Frank, this has not been my experience nor that of many others.
Long before the smog regulations were enacted, most, if not all, cars with
vacuum advance took the vacuum signal directly from the manifold. With the
advent of the early smog regulations, NOX emissions at idle were reduced by
reducing the total engine advance at idle, hence ported vacuum advance. I
remember my '66 SS396 was ported directly to the manifold and the last thing
it had was stumble off-idle.
My Cord 180hp engine uses manifold vacuum to a Dale vac/press unit and it
too comes off idle smartly and smoothly. The only effect of adding the Dale
unit using manifold vacuum was an increase in idle speed, easily adjusted
with the idle speed screw.
Andy Clark
Camano Island, WA.
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan