Alternatives Re: <VV> Rebulding Retard?

burkhard at rochester.rr.com burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Thu Feb 22 13:28:50 EST 2007

I don't have a list, but I'm pretty sure most cars in the 50s - 60s
took vacuum advance from a ported signal -- that's how it was done on
the well pre-emission Rochester HV as well as the non-Corvair 1950s
applications that used the Carter YH (Corvairs using the YH were
turbos... a special case).  I don't have ready access to information on
other 1950s-early 60s carbs, but I'm pretty sure ported vacuum was the
norm on most applications.

As for the ported signal being used only to reduce idle NOx, that
doesn't make a whole lot of sense. NOx produced at idle is soooooooooo
small compared to NOx under load!  The NOx reaction is very strongly
temperature (and hence pressure) related.  Idle (with very low peak
pressures and temperatures in the combustion chambers) is the LAST
place you would tinker with anything to reduce NOx.  Worry about HC &
CO at idle? Yes!  NOx? no!

The reason to use ported vacuum is exactly as my father described --
you need to look at what the two types of vacuum do on tip-ins and
driveaways.  Plain intake manifold vacuum takes a dive as the throttle
is opened when you perform a driveaway. If this is used on most
vehicles, you will get a sag that results from the sharply reducing
vacuum advance.  Ported vacuum was used instead because it starts
out "OFF" and then INCREASES as the throttle is opened.  In this
manner, the base timing can be set a bit higher and then the vacuum
advance coming in *adds* torque, not pulls it away.  Finally, it's
common to calibrate idle spark under MBT timing. On modern cars, this
is down to provide some spark-based torque authority to allow active
spark control to control the idle speed; on older cars, the somewhat
retarded spark at idle allows a better misfire resistance and idle
stability.

So, why does your SS396 (which came AFTER the Corvairs which used
ported vacuum advance!) not use ported vacuum for its vacuum advance?
I don't know exactly, but it could be related to the MUCH HIGHER
power:weight ratio of this vehicle. On a light tip-in the manifold
vacuum probably doesn't sag nearly as much as with a Vair.  Also, I am
guessing that that vehicle probably has a pretty wild cam, so it
doesn't have very much idle vacuum in the first place.  In any event, I
think vehicles like an SS396 were the exception, rather than the rule.

Jim Burkhard