<VV> torque wrench adapter for pinion spline

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Feb 23 14:43:48 EST 2007

(I haven't been following the thread exactly, so forgive me if I have this  a
little wrong)
I gather that somebody wants to get set-up to do the preload on a
differential pinion shaft. As others have stated, inch-pound beam torque  wrenches are
out there.  I've seen them on ebay many times and they go for  $10 to $20.

The second leg of this thread asks about how to turn the MT pinion shaft
without the KM tool.

Here's how I do it.

I purchased a 9/16 NC x 4 1/2" bolt and two nuts for same at Ace.  The  bolt
head must be 15/16".

Grind all but two opposing hex points off the head.  For those in Rio  Linda,
you start with six points and end up with two opposing  points. (hehehe) The
remaining points will engage the internal  spline on the pinion shaft.

 Now grind all the points off of one on the hex nuts so the OD fits  inside
the ID of the pinion shaft.  Screw the ground-off nut almost all the  way onto
the bolt, followed by the other (unmodified) hex nut and tighten  togehther.

The ground-round nut acts as a centering sleeve in the end of the  pinion.
Engage this adapter in your pinion spline and put your torque  wrench on the
good nut. Rotate to check pinion torque.

BTDT,
Craig Nicol

http://www.aol.com.