<VV> Odd Steering Wheel Play

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Sun Feb 25 13:40:06 EST 2007

Arjay,

You will likely get better responses as the day wears on, but what you
describe sounds normal to me.  As it was explained to me, there is a bit of
a high spot when the steering gear is at dead center.  This is to keep the
car going in a straight line without you having to chase it all over the
road with the steering wheel.

As you begin to turn, either to the left or the right, the steering gear
becomes looser, allowing you to turn the wheels with less effort.  Since you
are in a turn, you will always be applying some pressure to the steering
gear, and in so doing you will be taking the play out of the system.  When
the wheels return to center, your gear will then be tight again.

I don't know if I've explained it very well, but I know it works for me.

Cliff Tibbitts
Lexington, KY