<VV> Timing Question 110

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Tue Feb 27 19:32:06 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/26/2007 10:32:43 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
ChiefTAM at aol.com writes:

On my  newly rebuilt 69 110hp, I am having a bit of a problem with
pinging/knocking when I let out the clutch to start from a dead stop in  1st
gear  when
the engine is warm.  I thought that the timing  might be advanced a bit  far,
so
I checked it over the weekend and it  was set at about 13 degrees.   As the
heads were cleaned up, I  don't really know what the compression ratio is,
but I
am using 93  octane gas.  Seems like it doesn't have a great deal of  power
down low when taking off, so I rev the engine a bit, and that is when  I  get
the
pinging/knocking.  I don't get it then accellerating  in the upper  gears,
just taking off from a start.  The car has  a Pertronixs I. Any  ideas on
timing?
Should I retard some  more?  To what?   Thanks.

Todd in  TX

Hey, Chief,
Check out just what your vac adv is doing.  Remove and plug the hose  to it
and see if that doesn't fix your problem. If it does, you probably have  the
wrong or inop VA.
Regards,
Bob Helt
http://www.aol.com.