<VV> Here we go again...

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 06:35:18 EST 2007

Although I know how they work, my execution must suck royally.  Not looking
for sympathy, just expressing frustration to those who have BTDT.

Just installed a set of used jugs/pistons/rings (total seal) that came from
a running car purchased from a race guy.  Had "only a few miles on them"  I
checked them over before installation.  Looks like a valve seat let loose on
all of them.

All was good for a while except for some pinging.  Fixed that finally by
retarding timing.  She's only seen 93 octane.  Had an annoying oil leak
since it's startup though.  Replaced the rear seal twice, tightened oil pan
nuts, etc.  Starting blowing more oil the last few days.  Tracked it down to
crank case pressure.  Cranked it with no breather - the vent tube looks like
a smoke stack.  Put my finger on it for 3 secs, pulled it off, PFFFFsssssss.
  (Yes, orifice is clear) Compression test left bank, 150,150,150, right
bank, 120,150,50.  Yep, fifty.  Tested it twice.

Put my tools up and came inside for the night.  I'll test more when I feel
like it, hopefully tonight.  Suspect broken ring, broken piston, etc.

Just can't get a break.  Makes a guy want to just give up and go back to
CRX's.  Might not ever go back into another engine again.

Barry in SC
2 lates, 2 earlies, might just sale it all and be done with it.  My dad
offered me $1500 for the lot and to be honest, it's tempting.  I told him
for that I'd throw in all the tools, too.

<insert every expletive known to man including the ones in A Christmas
Story>