<VV> Re: LM Blank plate in dash

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Jan 2 09:02:07 EST 2007

> > I just put in a Monza clock that a guy from work sold me (for $30) and
> although I like it a lot better than the "I'm too cheap to buy a clock"
> blank plate, it does strike me as odd that Chevy would put it so
> prominantly in the middle.

Was just a move from the strip dash of the early 60's chevvys to the round
Corvette syle intro'd in 1963. At the time, it was common to put an obvious
"something is missing" panel if you did not buy a clock. One surprise is
that there was not also a choice of a tachometer to go in that hole which
is what many people did back then - many muscle cars of the time were
shipped with speedo, tach, and idiot lights.

As to the giant gas gauge, that was also common on American cars back in
the day as the only thing the driver needed to know.

Don't forget that was in a time of "full service" gas stations when every
gas stop involved checking under the hood for oil and water levels, failing
hoses, and fan belts. Not needing to be concerned about the engine was a
luxury and a cost savings for the car companies which made full
instrumentation "optional at extra cost".

I am slowly learning that oil pressure is not really that important - you
either have some or you don't (recently drove a vehicle with a 3800 engine
1200 miles at 70+ over several days with two cam bearings sitting in the
oil pan. When I took it to a dealer Up North for 0 psi idle, 19 psi at
speed (spec is 40) we were assured it was the gauge. Point is that it ran
fine for the entire trip and never made a sound.

Wife's Scion (she picked it) is that way - speedo, tach, and gas gauge is
all thoulgh like a '62 Chevvy it has a "cold" indicator as well as hot,
oil, and alternator lights. Guess that is all it needs.

Padgett