<VV> Corvair Ownership

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Tue Jan 2 23:12:11 EST 2007

I don't think our Mr Smith needs anyone coming to his defense but really Roger, you don't know what you're talking about.  What Smitty said was just a reaction to years and years of dealing with people who show up out of the blue with a Corvair and expect free advice and parts and service and then after they've received these things, they flake out of Corvairs for whatever reason and they're gone, wasting the time and resources of those who helped them.  Smitty only wants to waste his time with people who are sincerly interested in Corvairs for the long term.  A lot of the guys who really know these cars have had them forever and they're getting old - they'll be in the great junkyard in the sky soon.  And if all the new guys coming in are saying "do it for me", there'll be noone to take the reigns when they're gone.  That's not in the best interest of our hobby.  You just wanted a cute old car to drive around.  Smitty has a bigger vision.

You don't have to earn anything here at VV, but we don't owe you anything either.  If you come here and are reasonably nice, you'll get answers.  Sometimes conflicting and confusing answers, but you'll get answers.  If you want answers or help from Smitty and some others, you DO have to earn it.  It's not elusive and exclusive, it's just that they've been taken advantage of by too many flakes in the past.  They've been in this hobby a long time and have probably seen it all.

On the other hand, I do know Smitty personally and I have to say that your "arrogant, self-centered, better than other people" description isn't TOO far from correct.  :) (<-smiley face)  But the  "asshole" part is WAY out of line.  We do have those here but he's not one of them.

The pants thing IS a bit confusing, but maybe that's something they used to say in the "olden days".

mike