<VV> Corvair car stereo

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu Jan 4 13:44:05 EST 2007

Well, it depends on what you mean by "custom"... I did a fairly
extensive install into a '67 convertible with the goal being not to
modify the car itself at all.

I used a universal box (ebay, pep boys, etc) to mount the DIN stereo
below the ash tray using the ash tray mounting screws (and support in
the back to an existing defroster mount).  I used the head unit to drive
twin 6" speakers that i installed in place of the existing single
speaker using the stock speaker mount and a homemade frame. To assist
with stereo separation, I placed two supertweeters (with built-in
crossovers, driven by the) at the base of each a-pillar (using the
bottom a-pillar cover screw).

Under the passenger seat I installed a large 3 channel amplifier. This
drives the large 6x9's that I dropped into junkyard side panels at the
rear seat under vintage speaker grills (not having the easy rear shelf
solution you do in the coupe) as well as the two bass shakers (think of
them as subwoofers without a speaker cone) that I installed under the
driver's seat and under the center of the rear seat.

I placed a 12 disc changer on the trunk ledge, velcroed down. I think I
drilled something like 6 1/16 screw holes in the floor for the bass
shakers and amp; otherwise no mods to the car at all. I think the total
expenditure was something like $400.

http://fnader.com/Corvair_Monza

In my coupe I did a similar (but simpler) install. The difference was
the head unit driving all four speakers, no cd changer, placing the
supertweeters at the top of the A-pillar, using boxed surface mount rear
speakers, and a self-powered subwoofer on the rear shelf. Total
expenditure was around $150.

I find I'd rather listen to the engine anyway... but my wife prefers
music. Neither system would win any stereo contests, but both provide a
decent audio system  at a minimal price.

Bill