<VV> CORSA Board -- Please consider

tim mahler flat6vair at insightbb.com
Thu Jan 4 19:14:55 EST 2007

My northern friend Bob Johnston said it well "Talk to former directors and
get the real story about the job. Be sure you have the time and intestinal
fortitude available to devote a big chunk of your time over three years to
doing the job. I have seen many folks take on this job over the past 34
years and am proud to call many of them friend."

Board members are often "promoted" from chapter leadership positions.  And
like being the star high school basketball player  who joins a big league
college team,  must sit on the bench awhile , that in itself is tough,
unless you are prepared for it.  There are conflicts within each local
chapter if you listen well enough.  Dealing with the conflicts can be tough.
Sometimes listening is all that can or should be done.

Compromises must be made -- look at the hoopla that a mis-worded email
causes on this list.  multiply that by 10 or so.   Board members must be
able to take a step back and assess the real meaning of lots of messages --
from 5,000 members -- all with distinct views on life.   Sometimes we just
don't agree.

I've had several debates with Bill Hubble.  I'm sure we both had to "take a
walk" a few times.  We were both right -- but the answers were different.
I'ld hate to have to grade a paper with all correct answers.   I'll will
miss Bill,  he has been an excellent board member,  dedicated and hard
working

-- And the Board needs to hear -- OFF THIS LIST -- what the dissenting
opinions are.  Talking amongst yourselves does not get the attentionn of the
board members.   Personnally,  I usually skim oner non-technical issues on
VV pretty quickly.  Work keeps me plenty busy.   I may or may not agree but
I will respond, as will the rest of the board.

And in case anybody missed it - Thanks Bill.   ( I also miss former board
members Seth and Kent and Joe and Rob and ........)  The Board needs more
like them.  Volunteer, serve,  it IS survivable.

tim mahler
Central Division Director
Looking forward to the upcoming autocross season where we can get back to a
good "EARLY" vs "LATE" discussion.