<VV> Board Bashing - Please Stop!

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu Jan 4 19:47:25 EST 2007

<snip>
> Please, however, stop all the Board bashing.  What we (CORSA) need RIGHT
> NOW! Is for "some bodies" to STEP UP TO THE PLATE! and run for office.  This
> is YOUR club, and YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU!  If you want to bash the board, I
> suggest you run for office and bash it in a way that will do some good -
> from within!
>
> Otherwise, please move on to talking about cars.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bill Hubbell

Bill, you're the one who comes to our monthly meetings and regails us with stories of the problems with the board.  If these problems ARE valid (and I have no reason to doubt you), then ignoring them and not talking about them won't fix them.  Problems don't typically go away on their own.  It's OUR board.  We have the right, nay, the responsiblilty to discuss criticisms of how it's being run.   Admittedly the majority of the membership participates very little.  They don't vote or express their opinions.  Most people voicing dissatisfaction here won't run.  I don't think I would based on how you've described what goes on.  I experience enough stupidity and frustration at work, I don't need more.  If I felt there was any realistic hope to change things, maybe I would.  I'm afraid I'll just end up yelling at someone and embarassing myself.

I've actually wanted to discuss at our monthly meetings just what it is we as members want from both Corsa and our local clubs.  What I want from Corsa is the standards for concours, autocrossing and etc., a convention, and a newsletter.  And it's good they cover the insurance for sanctioned events.  It'd be nice if they took care of the CPF but I hear it's best if they don't.  And I want them to spend my dues in a way that is most beneficial to our hobby, not to someone's friend's business or in some other, non-benefical-for-the-hobby way.  That's it.  I just read in the last Communique that Harry and Mike (who??) are getting $2000 to edit the 3rd installment of the tech guide.  How much did you guys get paid for writing and editing "Corvair Basids"?  I'm just sayin'

>From my local club I'd like to get good discussions about Corvairs but all we ever talk about is food.  And when Hubbell goes on one of his Corsa BOD tirades, the members get all whispery behind his back.  Oh noes, don't say anything bad, oh don't do that.  Sheesh.  The IHOP is great though and evry once in a while someone will say something about a Corvair.

I know some of you think it's wrong to ever say anything bad but I reiterate that it is OUR club and OUR BOD.  We should talk about it.  In fact, I think we should have a session at the next convention where the membership sits in a room with the board and airs things out.  I realize we get out what we put in but it is sometimes pretty tough to fight an entrenched oponent.  Especially if you're the only one who's trying.  Here we finally have the subject out in the open and you want us to clam up.  I don't think so.  People, air it out.  Let's here all that pent up aggrivation.  Do we care or do we want the status quoe to be maintained?

mike