<VV> ebay fees - some Corvair

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Fri Jan 5 15:08:57 EST 2007

Ebay is responding to the way most people sell vehicles on the site. Few
actually sell on Ebay, but even at a $50 listing fee (Ebay makes nothing
more if the transaction does not close on Ebay) it is still BY FAR the
cheapest most effective targeted advertising available for automobiles.
And Ebay knows it. If a competitor had anywhere close the number of hits
that Ebay gets, then it would be a valid alternative.

Currently only Craigs list gets as many hits... but the format is
limited and nationwide searching is pretty much impossible.

The other alternative is autotrader.com  For $30 you get a single photo
running in a single local magazine and the website for 3 weeks... it's
$44 to get multiple photos running online (though it runs for 12 weeks)
and you still can't link to a page of large pictures... and $69 for a
"run until it sells".

That's the competition... and even at $50 I think Ebay is the better
deal.  I'm selling my '99 Suburban and the wife's hotrod '90 BMW vert...
I'll likely use Ebay for both. (If you don't want me spending money with
Ebay buy them from me before I list!!! ) ;-)

Interesting in Europe (ebay.uk to be exact) they don not charge
different listing fees for vehicles and as such people put parts and
services into vehicle listings... makes it very hard to browse....

Bill