<VV> Mufflers

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Jan 5 08:19:48 EST 2007

Absolutely right.  Loud is fun for a little while.  Before you say
"Bryan, it can't be too loud", I have driven a Corvair with headers and
straight pipes on the street.  I knew it would be too loud, but it was
worth doing - for a couple of weeks.  Accelerating through a tunnel
couldn't be beat!

However, a nice "throaty" sound is a lot more pleasing to most folks.
There are a few things you need to consider when setting up your
exhaust:

  - It really helps to have some pipe length after the mufflers.  That's
why the "trombones" sound better than the stock duals.
  - Combining the pulses, either by using a single or duals with a
crossover, really helps get rid of the "ratty" sound.
  - Louder does not automatically mean more power.  It just means
louder.  Check out muffler tests to see which ones actually made the
most power.  Usually they have comments about the tone as well.

Finally, Corvairs can be loud in general, most of our cars aren't as
tight as they were new.  If you're taking a long trip, remember what
Bob Marlow told me - driving the Corvair to the event is part of the
event.  Take your time and have fun.  To that, I'd add that stopping on
a regular basis is a good idea if you think it's loud.  If you're in a
hurry, go rent a new car and set the cruise control as high as you
dare.

--Bryan