<VV> Corvair basics manual

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Fri Jan 5 12:25:38 EST 2007

Well now,
Here I was thinking that ----
1. The people who owned corvairs when new are rapidly reaching the age where they may not be driving anymore. Since I'm going to be 50 this year and I was 2 when these cars came out, that appears logical.

2.There was a time in this country when we were a nation of "joiners".  Push a form in front of us and we would sign up---especially in the years between the world wars (when there were over 10 million members of the KKK) and in the Post War Boom period, when Veteran's and Fraternal organizations flourished.
(The average age of a Legionaire in NC is 62. The average age of a Mason is 65)

Those days are over. We now have Cable/Satellite TV, Free Long Distance, the Internet, Ipods, video games and all manner of things to do in our spare time.
Not just the newspaper and the radio, eh?

3. There were a finite number of Corvairs made.  I think as club members most of us have done an admirable job of saving as many of them as we have been able to find.  Al Grille's lot in Louisiana of over 100 vehicles, Bruce Hewitt's 100+ in NC, and others spring to mind. Unfortunately, MANY of those cars could only be brought back at a huge expense, if at all.  Great for parts, but new members want a car, not parts.

4.You show me ANY chapter of ANY car club where there isn't some measure of politics, sour grapes, personal infighting or other conflict, and I'll show you a chapter that doesn't meet.  It's the nature of the beast.  Some chapters have less of it than others. And in many cases, it's the more seasoned (by age) members that promote and stir up the most conflict.  So kiss your maturity argument good-bye.

There are Many and varied reasons why our numbers are dropping.  There ARE things that can be done to try to stop the decline, and maybe even make them start to rise again.

But as long as the ranks of the membership is occupied by members of the Human Race, personalities will clash, sides will be taken on various issues, hard feelings will develop.

Ron said GROW UP!!-- That sounds like bitchin' to me---

So now we have a poster bitchin' about people bitchin'---and HE thinks he's HELPING!!!!

Hank