<VV> Best Corvair story.

mark at noakes.com mark at noakes.com
Fri Jan 5 22:36:42 EST 2007

My 66 Monza was my only driver from 74 - 80.  It took me through
college, co-op-ing at NASA/Langley, and my first two jobs after school,
and there are many stories associated with that car...which I still
have.  People that I know from the 70s still mention that car.

http://blog.mark.noakes.com/blog/Vehicles/66Corvair

never looked that good when it was my daily driver though.

However, my favorite and shortest story...

Sometime in the mid 80s my 61 Lakewood was a prime daily driver.  My
wife also had a 80 Z28 Camaro that was often trouble.  This time it was
the radiator, so I took it out to get it re-cored at a local shop.
With the radiator in the back of the wagon, I pulled into the radiator
shop but was stopped at the door by a rather gruff hick guy with the
comment per what was I doing there as "we don't fix no Corvair
radiators."  Fortunately he did fix Camaro radiators.

Unfortunately...while I still have the Lakewood, it is not in this
good a shape anymore...

http://blog.mark.noakes.com/blog/Vehicles/61lakewoodcompleted

I have been a fan and driver of Corvairs all of my adult life, but I
have never liked the heaters in these things despite all the discussion
on this list about how adequate they are.  TN had some incredibly cold
and snowy winters in the 80s...again in the Lakewood, I remember a
windy winter trip on the interstate at night where the static temps
were more than 20 below 0.  We had a AM/FM cassette radio in the car
(no cutting required to mount it) with a digital LCD display on it.  My
wife finally convinced me that we should stop at a motel for the night
when the LCD temp dropped down so low that it wouldn't display
anymore.  I have ever since coveted my brother's gas heater in his 64
convertible.

Mark Noakes
61 Lakewood wagon
66 Monza