<VV> More Rope Tow

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Sat Jan 6 13:56:19 EST 2007

Smitty Says;  Back when I thought I could save every Corvair that was free, I took the long suffering wife and went about 35 miles from here to bring home a wagon.  I was using a nylon rope about 30 ft long.  Nice and stretchy and forgiving of mistakes as long as the towing person didn't try to get up to 30 before the slack went out.  My wife and I had moved several cars that way and in truth I was rather proud of the way she always took the slack out and accelerated gently and smoothly.  I was pretty comfortable with her towing.  The wagon we were picking up only had a couple of brakes working as some the pistons were frozen  We came to a highway intersection and traffic was heavy going both ways (the road we were on as well as the highway).  She took the slack out and waited.  Seeing an opening she squirted across the highway, but the guy on the other side didn't keep moving as planned.  She slammed on the brakes and left me sitting in the highway where the oncoming cars
 exercised the option to stop at a great expense of rubber.  The guy in front of her moved and even though the crises was over, she was rattled, so she nailed the throttle.  She had the full length of the rope to accelerate.  I was praying the rope would break, but it didn't.  The wagon went from zero to 40 or so in way less than a second and she was only doing 25 0r 30.  I unfroze all the brake pistons and applied friction that hadn't been applied for ten years.  I actually bumped her rear bumper without damaging anything.