<VV> oil leak at rear of engine - need your help!

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Jan 7 19:51:48 EST 2007

The harmonic balancer can be removed with the special puller sold by our
vendors while the engine is in place.  Only the oil filter needs to be
removed. You can stop the harmonic balancer from turning while loosening
the crankshaft bolt by sticking a short screwdriver through the web of
the balancer and wedging against some lump on the rear housing. A 3/4"
combination wrench works fine. Torqueing the bolt when finished is more
difficult as not many (any?) torque wrenches and sockets fit in the
short space. I use my "educated" hand and tighten with small blows from
a hammer. These same  "educated" hands use the hammer to tap the bolt
loose. Or just pull with 40 to 50 pounds of force on the 1 foot long
combination wrench. One could do a Rube Goldberg with a bathroom scale
against the wrench and pull or push until it reads 50 lbs. Hammer is
easier for me!

Hammer for most Corvair work is 8 oz ball pein. Taper joints on the
suspension ( ball joint, tie tod ends, etc.) are the exception and need
all the hammer you can get (2+lbs) and two of them at the same time.
This is for popping  the joint apart like removing a blackhead. See GM
factory service manual for details. Back to subject at hand...

Bolt is regular right hand thread. Should be able to reuse fine. I have
only seen one broken off in years.

Seal is pried out easily (on external metal ring) with a big screwdriver
once the balancer is off. Pack new seal with grease and tap in evenly
with whatever tool works. When the seal bottoms out (external metal ring
contacts the rear housing fully) it is installed correctly.

There are two other ways people have done this and they may chime in.
One method can result in a cracked rear housing if caution is not
followed. But some have used it without failure. The other involves a
piece of flat bar, Smitty?

Frank DuVal