<VV> oil leak at rear of engine - need your help!

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Jan 8 08:52:03 EST 2007

Answers in line:
On Jan 7, 2007, at 3:57 PM, rbkj84 at comcast.net wrote:

> Questions:  How tough is it to remove the harmonic dampener?

With the right tool it comes off without much trouble.

>   How do I keep the crank from turning when I try to unscrew it or
> will just leaving the car in gear with the wheels on the ground hold
> it all (4 speed manual).

I use a screwdriver or pry bar through the balancer and against the
rear housing.

>   Is the bolt that holds on the dampener to the crank threaded in
> regular right hand threads or is it one of the few that goes the
> 'wrong' way.

Normal right hand threads.

>   Should I replace it with a grade 8 bolt for good measure?

Nope, it's already at least a grade 5.

>  Can the alternator/oil filter casting be left on?

Yes.

>  Do I need to drop the rear of the engine down or can I do it with
> that small puller that Lon sells and indicates is very good for this
> job?  Can I get to the seal behind the dampener when the dampener is
> off with the engine still in place?

I wouldn't try it without the engine lowered.  There is more to take
off, but it really makes it easy to see what you're doing.  I realize
that the experienced guys can do it with the engine still bolted up,
but it is going to be trickier.  In any case, the puller made for
Corvairs works very well.

--Bryan