<VV> Engine build comments

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Jan 8 16:20:59 EST 2007

I've been making some headway on my new engine project, I wrote a post
on my goals here:

http://autoxer.blogspot.com/2006/12/planning-foundation.html

Since then I got the heads off the donor engine and found a dropped #2
intake, which may have destroyed the #2 piston - I'll know once I get
the piston out of the cylinder.  The seats had been staked with a punch
all around, but they had not been deflashed.  What was really weird was
the fin surface had been milled, but the gasket surface itself was not.
  I'm afraid the builder was charged for "head milling" without
receiving the benefit :-(

I found a few more goodies in the teardown, tho, it has the long rocker
studs installed, and some sort of aftermarket valve retainers.  The
roller rockers showed some wear on the bottom, I suspect they were
initially installed with too short pushrods and scraped on the studs.
Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa