<VV> Mid-engine Tempests? ('vair-related)

Borrrris at aol.com Borrrris at aol.com
Mon Jan 8 21:24:23 EST 2007

OK - If I'm way off on this, try not to laugh too hard,  but...
>From what I believe to be true the '61-'63  Pontiac Tempest is a Corvair
"cousin" which used an innovative (weird?) flexible  driveshaft to connect a front
mounted engine to what was essentially a  Corvair-derived transaxle at the
rear.
Lots has been said here about V-8 Corvair conversions and the  special
problems of adapting due to the reverse rotation of the standard  engines.
So I'm thinking...if a Tempest is already set up for power coming  from up
front, hasn't the General  already done the adapting of the rear  setup - making
it an ideal candidate for a mid-engine conversion just by bolting  an engine
directly onto it. Yes? No?
  Matt (armchair mechanic) from L.I.
  ("66 Monza coupe 110/PG)