<VV> Re: Brake Bleeder is Broken

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Jan 9 08:26:30 EST 2007

First, flare wrenches are one place where good quality tools is better
than cheap tools. I have been happy with the Husky brand at Home Depot
recently. I picked them up when on sale.

Vise Grips are another place where the name brand works so much better
than any off brand I have used.

Use Vise Grips to really hold the flare wrench onto the flare nut. Put
the wrench on first, then adjust the vise grips to grab the flare
tighter. This usually helps keep from rounding off the nut flats. In the
worst case, you need heat, and lots of it. Mapp gas torch at least. But
there is a REAL danger of fire. DO not do this if there is any gasoline
leak. An Oxy-Acetelyne torch is best, but hundreds of dollars to buy one.

After the nuts have rounded off, and you are replacing the lines anyway,
just use lots of penetrating oil  and then apply vise grips directly
without the flare wrench. And,  if you are putting in new wheel
cylinders and lines, just cut the line at the nut.

Remember to use two wrenches when removing/ replacing lines at hoses and
junction blocks.

No need to drill holes in trunk, but you might need two new gas tank
strap bolts. Loosen the nuts on the gas tank strap bolts as far as you
can. You can (tape the end first to keep dirt out) fish a new gas line
above the tank without removing the gas tank. It will not be held by the
factory clips, and sometimes the old line will get stuck and cannot be
removed. But this is repair work, not restoration work. Later when  you
have the tank out you can remove the old line and route the new line
correctly.

As John and tim have said recently, replace all the steel lines, as they
rust out and cause instant brake failure. BTDT, even with dual master.
Twice!

Frank DuVal