<VV> Best Corvair Stories

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Wed Jan 10 11:35:52 EST 2007

I have a lot of stories with my '63 Vert I have been driving daily for a
year and a half.  Here, mainly shown in pictures.

Pulling it out of the woods January '05.

http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Vair/Vert/Pictures_123104%20051.jpg
http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Vair/Vert/IMAGE_047.jpg

To a hastened assembly on zero spare money.

http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Vair/Vert/IMAGE_043.jpg

The first round around the block (Yeah, I needed a haircut):
http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Vair/Vert/Firstdrive/Cardinal%20001.jpg

But the paint polished up pretty nicely. Here it is on its first trip out
of town (blue seats and all).
http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Vair/Vert/Jemez/04-18-05_1550.jpg

Then to  pulling all the seats out when it had no top and
using it to move like it was a truck.

An interesting story I told to VV before:  Before I put the top on, a
summer night in '05 my girlfriend and I at the time drove it to the
movies.   I parked in what I thought was a good spot, but when I came out,
the sprinklers had been running and soaked the interior of the car, cloth
seats and all.   There were a few inches of water on the floorboards.  The
20 mile drive home was memorable to say the least.

Here is one of installing the top myself:
http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Vair/Vert/Top/finishedtop.jpg

Flash forward to a beautiful summer sunset in '06 with same  lost love.
No picture here.

Here is one from the other day, before the bad snow hit...
http://www.unm.edu/~geoffj/Snow-Cardinal.JPG

Put about 17,000 miles on it so far.   Had to replace a failed Throwout
bearing and head due to worn out guides.   This was an ultra motor, that
came with the car, sitting on a workbench.
  Wish I had a camera this
morning as it was an image of sadness, looking back at my little
red vert covered in cinders/mud and ice parked against a snow bank as I
walked in to work.  Soon it will get a thorough wash/wax, and when the sun
comes back, the top will go back down.

Finally got  my upper armrest panels back from the upholstery shop, ready
to go in.
Only work beside the back seat upholstery I have not done myself.

-Geoff Johnson