<VV> Corvair winter story

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Jan 10 12:23:56 EST 2007

Ah, Corvair winter stories are always special.  Here's one of my
favorites:

Once upon a time I had this '66 PG sedan that I bought to get the 140
heads.  This was one of those cars that was cheap enough to just buy
the whole thing to get what you want.  Anyway, after getting it I
realize it really wasn't in too awful shape and it would be a shame to
just part out, and a friend of mine needed something to drive.  So, I
picked up a set of 110 heads and a battery and got it running.  It
needed a couple other little things, but then I had a decent enough
car.  The deal was that my friend would pay for the tags and insurance
and whatnot, but could borrow the car.

That was such a good deal that when he bought another car and didn't
need the Corvair, another friend took me up on it, and so on.  I think
4 or 5 of us drove that car over two or three years.  Anyway, at some
point my friend Don needed the service of my "loaner".  He drove it for
most of one winter, and one day we had some snow.  Of course by then we
all knew of the prowess of a Corvair in the snow.  Some time in the
afternoon, Don calls me and says "I'm stuck" (I can hear the collective
gasp already).  I say "whatd'ya mean, you're stuck?  It's a Corvair."
"Well, uh, it's stuck, can you come help me?"  So, I grab a tow cable
and hop into my '65 and go.

When I get to the place where it's stuck, and had a good laugh.  He was
stuck alright.  Seems he was doing some donuts in the parking lot and
slid the car sideways so it was straddling a median strip!  We
basically ended up using snow to build some little ramps for the rear
tires, then I pulled the car up onto the median and from there it could
be driven off.  Afterward I told him that he couldn't claim he got
stuck in the snow in a Corvair, that using the median was cheating :-)
Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
http://autoxer.skiblack.com/
   Corvairs: '61 Lakewood, '64 Greenbrier, '65 Corsa, '66 Corsa