<VV> Brake Question

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Thu Jan 11 07:56:14 EST 2007

I'm putting in a new brake line, hose, and cylinder. How do I fill them with
fluid?

I know the procedure for bleeding, but would that also fill these new
components? The entire front left portion of the system is empty and I've
never been in this position before.

Thanks everyone.

It's not that tough!  A "trick" that makes the "standard" bleeding job
easier and quicker is to open all the effected bleeders (the fronts in your
case), fill the reservoir with fluid.....and go away!  Let the system drip
for several hours, with 24 better, keeping the reservoir filled with fluid
as best you can while the fluid drips.  This allows gravity to fill the
system with fluid, making the pressure (or vacuum) bleeding far more
positive and take less time.

FWIW, this is an old "racers trick"....we installed entire brake systems
and/or replaced major portions of if (you'd be amazed at just how much hell
a crash at 180 mph raises in a car....and how much of a car you can
"economically" rebuild!), and used this method frequently.  I used the same
method when _I_ replaced ALL the lines in my 67 Monza 110 Convertible.  It
only took a couple of pumps on my vac-bleeder to purge the entire system
after letting the car drip over-night.  BTW, with a classic car.....a
vac-bleeder is a VERY prudent investment!

Cordially,

John Kepler
67 Monza 110 Convertible
69 Monza 110 Coupe