<VV> Pre Oiling

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Thu Jan 11 13:08:05 EST 2007

 I have pre-oiled a few engines after major repairs or after sitting for long periods. It occurred to me that my Vair or my Manx (Vair engined) would sit for periods of time or at least most of the winters here. I am sure others are of similar thought. It is not that difficult to pop out the dist. and turn oil pump on a Vair but it takes time and then you might move something and have to readjust everything. Now I have heard all my gearhead days that most of the worst wear comes from those few seconds at startup while the bearings are screaming for the oil to get there.
  Smitty Says:  Keith I understand where you are coming from.  I too hate to start an engine up that has sat for a week or so (or more).  Commonly expressed philosophy on VV is to run the pump.  I have a problem with that.  I have done so with the block cover off and not all that much is going on there.  For sure the cyl walls are not profiting from it.  So I prefer cranking the engine a dozen times or so with the coil wire pulled out.  Well within the manufacturers limits set on starter operation.  Red light goes out.  Crank throws throw oil into the cylinders.  And this is low stress on the bearings.  No combustion loads.  No muss, no fuss.
  So I must say this.  Difference of opinion now, Not Flame.  I consider what you are talking about to be big time overkill for a minor problem.  Especially with a stock Corvair.