<VV> Pre-oiler update 1

kwoodke at comcast.net kwoodke at comcast.net
Thu Jan 11 17:14:56 EST 2007

Terrific!!!! Not even 8 hours and I am getting great input. I wanted to put down some thoughts before I forget. 1.It's been said this is big worry for small problem. I agree and appreciate the comment. I probably fretted over this while I was thinking of my best case scenario, that being I restore a Vair (spend a ton on it and then don't drive it much) and I obsess about not doing everything reasonable to make it live. That's why I am trying to do this on the cheap. So it could be attainable and doable. Also this will be used on other vehicles in my case. I think of my Jeep CJ-5. It will usually sit all summer (snow plowing). My dunebuggy (winter), and my 79 C-10 pickup that gets used intermittently. I hope to make a pump unit for between $100 and $200 and then $20 to$30 per vehicle for fittings. I surely would sleep better at night if I accomplish that. We now know many of you out there have multiples and they don't all get driven on a regular basis either.
2. I have totally filled engines with oil. In fact my first Vair after I rebuilt the engine (3 of the cylinders had the ring gaps lined up, BURNED pistons). But mostly small engines, mowers and small tractors. You can even turn most Briggs & Stratton engines upside down to really oil the engine. Very effective especialy for a corvair but time and wasted oil would pay for the pre-oiler setup.
3. Pre oiling before cranking would fill the bearings and passages with oil so cranking would get oil into the cylinders faster. Believe me I've done both. Belts and suspenders!!! Of course after looooong term storage I would squirt oil in the spark plug openings and crank with out plugs first.
So I am carrying on and will let you know in the end how it works, keep up the input.
Keith Woodke