<VV> Inspections and emission systems. Some Corvair!

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Jan 12 12:36:44 EST 2007

In a message dated 1/12/2007 9:08:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
GBrandes at loebermotors.com writes:

Hi  Bill,

I have to disagree with you about the emission stuff just to make  a
profit for dealers and manufactures, they are mandated by state  and
federal government.

For those of us who own OBDII cars, a scan tool can make it much easier to
avoid the big dealer costs. All cars since 1996 have the port. Tools start at
about $30 - and up, way up if you want tons of features. I popped a code
(slang for turning on the check engine light) on my 1996 Camaro at about 105K
miles. The car still ran fine. I rented a code reader (for free) from a local
AutoZone. It identified the problem as a failed Oxygen Sensor ahead of the
converter. I reset the Check engine light and returned the code  reader. nthe next
morning the light came back on. Okay - I pulled the spare  Oxygen sensor off
a tailpipe I had saved after parting out another Camaro, slid  under and
replaced the failed unit. Went back and re-rented the code reader  to reset the
light again and returned the tester unit. Cost so far "Zero" -  But had I not
parted out that other car, I would have had to buy a  Oxygen sensor -say $70 or
so. And the car has worked fine since, passed a  bi-annual smog test, with no
issues. Now, I am not saying that the Corvair  should somehow have the On Board
Diagnostic sensors added. The simplicity of the  Corvair is certainly one of
it's attractive features. But the new systems,  mandated by government
regulations have certainly made it easier to find what  goes wrong on newer cars. The
argument could be made that the sensor  that failed on the Camaro didn't
matter to the running or emissions of the  car. It actually could have impacted
the usability if the computer didn't  have a correct feedback on the fuel
injection effectiveness. But think of how  many time we have chased down drivability
problems on our Corvairs, replacing  part after part to try and subdue the
problem. The systems in the new cars are  much better at isolating the problems
so they can be addressed. The Corvair  I am building right now will have a
wide-band oxygen sensors "on-board", with  additional sensors and readings for
addressing any response or performance  issues. According to the SEMA
newsletter, the California Air Resources Board  (CARB) is examining the possibility of
testing older cars again, cars which  have been out of the California smog
testing system for years. Some day we may  all be fitting additional aftermarket
systems or putting our cars in museums. -  Seth Emerson