<VV> Cylinder head ID

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Fri Jan 12 22:19:41 EST 2007

"...I'm  looking at some heads on Ebay, and the seller says that the casting
number  on them is 3846999.  I've looked in the Tech Guide and I can't find
any such number.  Does anyone out there have this  information?..."

Referencing the 1996 CORSA Tech Guide supplement (and looking at casting
numbers), and the GM Corvair Parts Manual, there is no such Corvair head listed.
The GM Parts Manual says, by part number, 3846999 is an: EXH MANIFOLD-LF
(LONGER ONE)(EXC 140HP & SMOG) (so does a Clarks search).

Perhaps the seller doesn't know what he is looking at, and the head has the
exhaust manifold attached, and he/she is reading the casting number off the
attached exhaust manifold. Ask the seller if he/she is reading the casting
number off the end of the head; this is the correct location to ID heads. Making
sure the seller is giving a true head casting # is the first step in IDing
the  heads. Another option would be to see photos of the combustion chambers...
but  then that's another story.

Mike Mauro
of numerous Corvairs and many less brains