<VV> Seat Belt Law - IL

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 13 02:09:05 EST 2007

Here is what IL has to say on exemptions:

EXEMPTIONS

        a.. A driver or passenger frequently stopping and leaving the
vehicle or delivering property from the vehicle, if the speed of the vehicle
between stops does not exceed 15 miles per hour.

        b.. A driver or passenger possessing a written statement from a
physician that such person is unable, for medical or physical reasons, to
wear a seat safety belt.

        c.. A driver or passenger possessing an official certificate or
license endorsement issued by the appropriate agency in another state or
country indicating that the driver is unable for medical, physical, or other
valid reason to wear a seat safety belt.
     a.. A driver operating a motor vehicle in reverse.

        b.. A motor vehicle with a model year prior to 1965.

        c.. A motorcycle or motor driven cycle.

        d.. A motorized pedal cycle.

        e.. A motor vehicle which is not required to be equipped with seat
safety belts under federal law.

        f.. A motor vehicle operated by a rural letter carrier of the United
States Postal Service while performing duties as a rural letter carrier.

I see no distinction between '65 and '66.  If I recall correctly, lap belts
became mandatory (2) for front seat in '65 and rear seat (also 2) in '66.

The interesting thing is that if you just stay in reverse gear, you don't
need to (legally) put the belt on.  I wonder which side of the road you
should drive on?  GRIN

Later, JR