<VV> RE: Inspections for Antique/Emissions

Gary Swiatowy mopar at jbcs2.net
Sat Jan 13 08:58:00 EST 2007

> From: Doug Mackintosh <dougmackintosh at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: <VV> RE: HB 2465 - Annual Fees & Inspections for Antiques
>
> Well, when I was 16 I got my first summer job at the local independent
> auto repair shop. No experience or training. They didn't put me on
> sophisticated work like safety inspection - they made me the BRAKE MAN! It
> doesn't seem that long ago, but it must have been before there were
> lawyers :-)
>
>  << Gary Swiatowy wrote:
>
>  Well I was 17 when I got my inspection license. But did not have ANY
> votech
> training, just practical experience working in a small garage in a
> small
> town. >>
>

> -- Doug Mackintosh
>  Corsa member since 1996
>  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
>  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on
>
> ---------------------------------

Just before turning 16 I started working at the garage, pumping gas, and
changing tires. Stuck me with the tractor trailor tires too. (Funny they
never bought an inflation cage untill after I left at 21). In any event, yes
did plenty of brake jobs as well as ball joints, tie rods. And cams in small
block chevy's as they were nototiously soft back then. Plenty of motor
changes and another of our specialties was yanking off emissions equipment
like AIR and catalytic converters. The inspections was gravy work and I did
a lot of re-wiring to get lights to work on old stake trucks and rotted out
braters. Another of my specialties as I was the only one with the patience.
Did Inspections on Sundays too! I had plenty of people coming in to get
their car done on Sundays for the convenience, they didn't have to miss
work. Also evenings untill 9:00 PM.
Back then to get an inspectors license I had to have a drivers license, take
a course that lasted a few hours and immediately take a 20 question multiple
choice test. On what they had just taught us, but basically stuff so simple
anyone who knew which end of the screwdriver to use could pass it.

Never was sued over any repairs I did..................and no-one ever
seemed to have problems with a "kid" doing a car inspection either. And I
was thourough and didn't fall from any customers trying to sneak anything by
me.......

Gary Swiatowy