<VV> Seat Belts: Florida - all Corvairs.

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sat Jan 13 11:27:04 EST 2007

Looking at the current Florida statute 316.614 ("Florida Safety Belt Law"),
there is no exemption for age of the vehicle. There is an exemption for
school buses or "a bus used for transportation of persons for compensation"
which seems odd but basically any automobile must have seat belts.

It does seem to relate to adults in the front seat only (children have
specific requirements) and wording in places is a bit peculiar e.g.
"(b)  The number of front seat passengers of a pickup truck required to
wear a safety belt pursuant to this section shall not exceed the number of
safety belts which were installed in the front seat of such pickup truck by
the manufacturer."

Now I began wearing seat belts in 1963 and have installed belts in all of
the older cars I have had, just do not feel comfortable without one. Then
again I always wear a helmet when on a motorcycle and that law was
rescinded some years ago.

Padgett