<VV> High Energy Ignition

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun Jan 14 20:33:44 EST 2007

In a message dated 1/14/2007 8:25:57 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rusecular at yahoo.com writes:

"Pertronix I" is installed on one my Corvairs and I'm quite
content with its operation. However, a friend (who used to
run a  speed shop) claims that the high energy ignition (HEI)
Distributor  would have been a cheaper and more efficient
way to go.

Tony - The HEI problem results from the fact that all Corvairs were built
before the advent of the GM HEI ignition systems. There were other electronic
ignitions used in GM cars, but only in limited usage, predominantly Corvettes.
Eventually, GM did convert the in-line six cylinder motor in the other models
to  an HEI, and many of those have been adapted to the Corvair. Those
systems,  though, were big and bulky and had interference problems with the upper
sheet  metal on the Vair. The smaller even-fire V6 motors, used in the S10 and
tons of  Front-Wheel-Drive Cars at GM, used a much smaller magnetic pulse
distributor.  Since the coil was now located separate from the cap, they were much
smaller.  (Some of the earlier HEIs used a separate cap as well) The problem
with these  units, aside from the issue of adapting into the Corvair, was that
only a few  years can be used, because GM went to either all-computer control -
eliminating  both the vacuum and mechanical advance, or DIS units, meaning
Distributorless  Ignition Systems, with full computer control. The most common
unit adapted in  was from the early 80's S10 Chevy truck. Warren LeVeque, and a
couple of  others, modified the distributor shaft and added the correct
Corvair  specific drive gear to adapt the units into the Corvair motors. At that
time, I  had a distributor machine (Called, generically, a "Sun" machine - mine
was made  by Allen) And I tested dozens of different types of distributors on
that  machine. The most accurate spark allocation I ever saw was on the HEI
units I  tested. Absolutely new GM Point distributors meaning new bushing and
new point  plate - were okay - for the first few hours <grin>. Mallory
distributors really sucked, individual cylinders would be 3-4 degrees different,
unless converted to Unilite, then they were fine. The PerLux units (showing my
age) were pretty good, depending a little on the condition of the distributor in
 which they were installed. I think the Pertronix units, especially the
version 2  units, are the most cost effective addition you can make to a street
car (with the possible exception of a new wire set!). For real racing,  however,
the HEI derivatives or a real racing Multiple-Spark unit are better.
Although my last few race cars have utilized MSD boxes, I am moving to a HEI  style
system on my currently under construction car. MSD makes a nicely built
6-cylinder magnetic pulse distributor for the in-line 6 Chevy motor. I have
modified the shaft and gear to fit it into the Corvair. instead of driving an  MSD
box, I intend to drive a racing HEI module, mounted on the side of the
Distributor. Those racers attending the Racer Workshop in Dayton,  Ohio, next month
can check it out. I assure you the system will not be  cheaper than a simple
Pertronix, but it will provide performance that the  Pertronix cannot provide.
For the V8 motors, manufacturing economics and  competition have driven down the
price of the HEI style distributors to very  cheap, under $100, complete with
cap. You might have to translate  any included installation instructions,
though. <grin> I saw at least  ten different off-shore  (way off shore) producers
of the HEI 8-cylinder  distributors for Chevies, at the SEMA - AAPEX  show in
October. - Seth  Emerson