<VV> Turbos and nox

kwoodke at comcast.net kwoodke at comcast.net
Mon Jan 15 17:31:49 EST 2007

Howdee, a couple of days ago I was reading a forum somewhere and someone asked about turbos and should he invest, what was the worth. While I was reading I remembered an article from Hot Rod mag probably from the 80's. Any way I still have the issue here somewhere but two hours looking and searching the 'net. I couldn't find it. I thought it was ingenious enough to pass it along.

The article was about a shop/engineering outfit that dealt with turbos. They decided to inject nitrous into the turbo housing. Now here is the ingenious part.
1 the nitrous cools the ingoing air. A good thing with turbos.
2 they positioned the nozzle to be aimed at the compressor vanes (the pressurized nox helps spool up the turbo). Slight benefit I know.
And 3, they installed switches to open the nox at WOT acceleration and turn off when the turbo made boost. They were basically using the nox to fight turbo lag.
Well I thought it was ingenious and it has been in the back of my brain if I ever wanted to play in the big dog autcross classes someday. Well that's it for what it's worth. I will keep looking for the article.Keith Woodke