<VV> Tonawanda Plant - Former Corvair Engine Plant - Big Plans!

MSYVairs at aol.com MSYVairs at aol.com
Wed Jan 17 15:50:03 EST 2007

Well it looks like GM has BIG plans for our former Corvair engine plant!

Read on............................

Bill"Swamp-Rat"Hadley

Tonawanda Gets $300 Million To Build GM's Newest Engine

Buffalo, NY – General Motors today announced it will invest $300 million in
its GM Powertrain Tonawanda engine plant to manufacture an all-new, technically
advanced dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-8 engine, slated to begin production here
in 2009.

“This all-new engine will play a critical role in GM’s exciting future
luxury vehicle portfolio,” said John Buttermore, GM Powertrain vice president of
global manufacturing. “As one of the most technically advanced engines in GM,
its power and smoothness will be among the world’s best, and yet more fuel
efficient and environmentally friendly.”

The investment includes renovation to part of the plant, new machinery and
tooling to support the new engine production. Renovations are expected to begin
this fall. As a result of this new work, Tonawanda will retain 150 jobs.

“On behalf of General Motors, I commend the United Auto Workers, UAW Local
774, and local and state leaders for helping to provide the business case and
securing the necessary incentives to support this investment and the future of
the GMPT Tonawanda engine plant,” said Bill Shaw, GM Powertrain manufacturing
manager.

New York Governor Elliot Spitzer said, “GM’s $300 million investment is
welcome news for Western New York and exhibits the company’s faith that issues
affecting the business climate of this state can and will be successfully
confronted. GM’s willingness to invest in the area is an early sign of the state’s
economic development prospects and is a testament to the great value of our
highly skilled workforce.”

Today’s announcement brings GM’s total investment in the GMPT Tonawanda
plant to $1.5 billion over the last ten years.

“This is a significant investment from the standpoint of expanding production
here at Tonawanda and providing greater job security for UAW Local 774’s
members whose dedication helped win this new work,” said Wally Wedington, UAW
Local 774 shop chairman.

“General Motors’ continuing investment in Tonawanda and Erie County
demonstrates the strength of our partnership,” said Joel Giambra, Erie County
executive. “We are thrilled to be able to protect jobs at the GM Powertrain plant
through cooperation with GM management and UAW Local 774 leadership.”

The GM Powertrain Tonawanda engine plant has produced nearly 67 million
engines since its opening in 1938. The plant employs 1,860 people and provides an
annual payroll of $198 million. GMPT Tonawanda currently produces the
4-cylinder, Ecotec 2.2-liter engines for the Chevrolet Cobalt, HHR and Malibu and the
Saturn Ion; High Value, V-6 3.5- and 3.9-liter engines for the Chevrolet Impala
and Monte Carlo, and the Pontiac G6; Inline 4- and 5-cylinder engines for the
Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon and the Hummer H3; Vortec 8100 8.1-liter
engines for the Chevrolet Kodiak, GMC TopKick and sold outside GM for various
marine applications.