<VV> RE: End of the line for Corvair Axle Plant

LastHamlet lasthamlet at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 11:24:16 EST 2007

John,
Those are some valids points you made, however(And,
there seems to always be a HOWEVER), this really isn't
so much the typical "Flat Earth" topic, but merely
"Greed" in the multi-level aspect, that is. Or, that
we as humans are getting Flat Heads, from lack of
thinking?
Hummm "went away"??? well, also for the most part,
true, but not really the correct term... More like
"Replaced", you know similar to the Terminator Movies.
We build machines to replace workers(other human
beings BTW), and for the most part not to be
technologically advanced, but for, well, say it with
me,,, "Bigger Profits". Of course, there is the
underlying factors, we are getting lazy, us humans
that is.
Sure, I also have to agree, buggy makers were a bit
bent when Henry Ford came along. However,(Again with
these Howevers) he did manage to created not only a
butt-load of jobs, but a good ethical concept for a
business model, as well... "I want to make a car that
everybody can afford." Not only that, H.Ford had some
really positive underlying factors, he powered his
cars from Methanol, he processed from Hemp. He was a
firm believer in Petro-fuels, and far ahead of his
time...(Popular Mechanic's from the mid 1920's to late
1930's issues, go to their online site and read his
views for yourself)
Nonetheless, it all seems to come down to Progress and
of course, the bottom line, "Profit". Nobody wants, or
should have to, work for nothing, as well as the
business owner included, as they are human too.
However, (Goodness, Again with the however) with the
"Save 3 cents" mindset/concept I mentioned, it seems
we go beyond what "Human" means, as to equate to lines
on a page.
Progress is good, but still we must draw the line
somewhere,,,, somewhere??? Where that line is, I do
not know. I do know, that each Country, each place,
must do a lot to clean up their own back yard.(No
place excluded) Furthermore, to continue to say, stop
looking at other Nations and their people, as ways to
further swell the pockets of somebody not having the
common sense to say "Enough is Enough". Or, even as a
counterpoint to other perspectives, "We screwed up
this place here, lets book on over there and see what
we can mess up there." Both ideas, in my opinion, are
just promoting ignorance of the real issues... Grab a
broom and a paintbrush, as nobody is your slave, and
you deeds in life, are your deeds.
Now, true, I am not your sharpest knife in the drawer,
but this issue is not as complicated as we make it,,,
is it???
Well, this is close to breaking rules of the
board,(Maybe considered political) so I better
respectfully sign off, before ruffling too many
feathers... Besides, I have driveled enough :-)
All The Best Regards,
Danny Barber
"When they came for me..."

I was going to stay out of what I consider to be a
"Flat-Earth"
argument....but this particular note required a
response.  Did it ever occur
to those hand-wringers that the jobs in question
didn't "move"....but simply
went away.....like the Dodo?

Anyone that wants to see first-hand why US auto makers
are closing
plants.....arrange a tour of Daimler-Chrysler's newest
assembly plant---the
Toledo-Stickney Ave. Jeep Plant!  This facility makes
THREE, count'um, 3
totally different cars in the same plant, on a single
line!  Not just
different sheet-metal, three totally different
platforms!  There isn't a
fixed jig in the entire plant......just robots that
hold the panels for the
selected vehicle in the appropriate orientation while
another group of
robots weld it together!  Change the
software....change the car the plant
builds....it's just that simple!  No need for a
completely different plant
to produce a single model-line.....and the workers to
go with it!

We are on the leading edge of "boutique"
manufacturing, where a single
facility can manufacture a multitude of items using
the same tools and
equipment, just by creating different software (use a
CNC Mill as an example
and expand it).

Remember....buggy-makers bitched about Henry Ford too!

John